Ortlieb Back Roller PRO Plus Extra-Large Waterproof Rear Panniers
- Suggested Front Panniers . . . Ortlieb Sport Roller Plus Panniers or Ortlieb Sport Packer Plus Panniers
- Suggested Handlebar Packs . . . Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Plus Medium Handlebar Bag or Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Plus LARGE Handlebar Bag
- Suggested Rack-top Dry Bag . . . Ortlieb Rack Pack Dry-Bag
- Click Here for a Variety of Optional Ortlieb Accessories including Outer Pockets, Bottle Cages for Panniers, Mesh Outer Pockets, a Pannier Carry System to convert a pannier to a daypack, and Anti-Theft Devices for panniers.
- SAVE $$$ on Matched Sets of Ortlieb Panniers and Packs & Ortlieb Mini-Combos & Matched Sets of Tubus Racks!
- Tubus Racks are the best choice for carrying your Ortlieb Packs!
- LARGE ORDERS . . . Will you be placing an order for a large quantity of Panniers, Packs, and Racks for multiple riders? Call for price if your items can be combined in one shipment to a single address.
- If you sometimes have trouble deciding which extra T-shirts to take along, or whether you should take two pairs of shoes or three, you may want to switch to Ortlieb panniers because the world’s largest waterproof bike bags have plenty of space for everything you need. The Back-Roller Pro Plus is the XL version of the popular Back-Roller Plus touring bag. With a volume of 70 liters per pair, it offers almost twice as much stowage space. It’s also the first ORTLIEB Back-Roller with an additional front pocket. Although not waterproof, the pocket is unusually practical, offering 4 liters of space for water bottles, sunscreen, wet things, and other items. The durable Codura fabric gives the bag a noble, woven-fabric look, and is also completely PVCfree. The proven roll closure keep the contents of the inner compartment clean and dry at all times. Thanks to the ingenious QL2.1 system with its self-closing hooks, you can conveniently mount your bags on almost any bike rack.
- Are you bike touring through Europe, taking family trips or travelling around the globe? Ortlieb’s new XL size Back Roller Pro panniers will help you carry that extra gear!
- Fast access and additional storage is provided by the outer pockets (8L per pair) which are also convenient for storing wet gear.
- Outer front pocket (2 x 4 L) folds flat, with reflective thread, ideal for damp clothing
- Material: PU-laminated Cordura
- Integrated inner pocket and shoulder strap
- Easy to clean inside
- Two strong 3M Scotchlite reflectors
- Each Ortlieb Plus Series Pannier has an internal pouch pocket hanging from the inside top of the back panel.
- Ortlieb Plus and Classic Series panniers utilize the new QL2.1 Quick Lock mounting system, adjustable without any tools, with automatic opening and closing by lifting the handle. The QL2.1 system comes with 16mm wide top hooks, and adjusts with 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm hook inserts to help you fit various rack top-rail diameters. Adjustable width hooks at the base of the panniers keep the bottom mounted securely to the side of the rack. The sliding top hooks can be repositioned to allow precise placement on the rack top rails. This can also help move the panniers toward the rear of your rack, providing heel clearance while riding. Optional extra top hooks can be added to reinforce the mounting system when you take your panniers off-road. Optional 20mm QL-2.1 Top-Hooks are available for over-sized rack top-rails.
- 20 mm hook available as accessory (e.g. for e-bikes)
- Reduction inserts for tube diameters 8, 10 und 12 mm with anti-scratch-function protecting the rack from abrasions
- Upper QL-hooks and lower hook adjustable without requiring any tools
- Lower hook with anti-scratch function protecting the rack from abrasions
- Symmetrical shape allows use on right or left side
- + Can be combined on the rack with ORTLIEB Rack-Pack size S or M
- Simultaneous use of ORTLIEB Trunk-Bag possible
- Panniers come with 2 x shoulder straps, and 8, 10 and 12 mm hook inserts.
- Note: In order to meet standard IP64 (6=dustproof, 4=protected against splash water coming from all directions) the roll closure must be rolled at least 3-4 times.
- These panniers will hold a LOT of gear. If you have a stout bike that will handle well with a back-heavy load, and you do not have the capability of adding a front rack, these may be the panniers for you.
- Besides being great for cross-country touring, Ortlieb Back Roller panniers might be my favorite panniers for general use. Back Rollers are great for grocery shopping — especially the Back Roller PRO panniers. You can carry a massive amount of food and essentials. If you look up and see blue sky, and waterproofing is not an issue, you can over-stuff these panniers by not rolling them down all the way. If you have a smooth ride home from the grocery store, and are not worried about the security of the items you are carrying, you can give the top of a roller pannier just a half-roll down with the top strap fastened over the top, and you can bring home even more groceries.
- The Back Roller Pro Plus panniers use Ortlieb’s Plus fabric, which is lighter in weight than the Classic fabric, yet still very tough. The Plus fabric is a bit more flexible as well, and easier to handle in extremely cold weather.
- All Plus series panniers are made from very durable Cordura fabric with a substantial, and highly durable, thermoplastic polyurethane waterproof inner layer.
- All seams are high frequency welded with narrow manufacturing tolerances, providing excellent waterproofing. You will be impressed by the high quality workmanship!
- Don’t think “Plastic” when you see the mounting system. Ortlieb hardware is made from a fiber-reinforced high-tech plastic that is extremely strong and durable, and in many tests can be stronger than metal parts.
Ortlieb panniers are great for cross-country touring. Have no worries about staying organized when using panniers with large main compartments. If you pack inside with a variety of sizes of stuff sacks and zip-lock bags, you can stay very well organized. Smaller bags inside the main compartment are removable inner pockets. They can help you stay organized in camp, and when you are ready to pack up in the morning, you simply toss the pre-packed into your panniers, and you are ready to go. You won’t be riding with a jumbled mess inside your bags.
- Ortlieb panniers set the standard for waterproof bags. Make certain you pack your tent and sleeping bags in waterproof stuff sacks if they are going inside the panniers. Keep your clean clothing separate from dirty laundry, and hang things where they can air out and dry out when you have the opportunities. If it rains in the night, you don’t want a wet tent to get everything else in your pack wet. And if you put a dry sleeping bag in a wet pannier, then at the end of the day you won’t enjoy trying go to sleep in that wet bag!
- Sometimes I get customers who say “I don’t want waterproof bags.” They are worried about wet gear in the bags not drying out while they are riding. They are correct. Gear will not dry out while you are riding with Ortlieb panniers. But that is true with non-waterproof panniers. Most non-waterproof bags are at least water resistant, and they have tightly sewn seems and the zippers do not provide ventilation. And if you put wet items in a waterproof bag before it goes into a pannier, in order to avoid getting other things wet, of course the wet items stay wet. Put wet items in ANY pannier, and unless you leave the tops of the panniers open and risk losing some gear, you will have some items to hang out to dry when you reach your next camp. Get caught in an all-day rain, and you sure will be glad you have Ortlieb waterproofing! Bottom line: Hang your gear out to dry whenever you get the chance, but don’t worry about riding with waterproof panniers.
Packers vs. Rollers, Plus vs. Classic, QL-2.1 vs. QL-3, etc. . . I planned to write comparisons for every Ortlieb panniers page, but ran out of time to do so before going live with this new website. You will find a LOT of such information here . . . Ortlieb Panniers and Packs Comparisons . . . and FAQ. And you are welcome to contact me if you have questions. Find my email and telephone contact information at near the bottom of every product page.
- Note that these new Back Roller Pro panniers are not specifically addressed on the Comparison’s page, but info on the mounting system applies, and there is other good information that may help you.