Ortlieb Back Roller “Urban Line” QL-2.1 Waterproof Rear Panniers
SPRING SPECIALS!!! . . . Get Unadvertised Spring Special Prices on Ortlieb Packs & Tubus Racks, Singles & Matched Sets, Custom Combos, Panniers, Handlebar Bags, Backpacks, Specialty Packs, Travel Bags, etc. Due to advertising agreements, I can’t show prices below suggested retail. Call or email Wayne for a quote! See Contact Info Below.
- Suggested Front Panniers . . . Though there are no “Urban” Sport Roller Panniers, a pair of Ortlieb Sport Roller PLUS Panniers in Granite/Black would look nice with a pair of Pepper Urban Back Rollers.
- Suggested Handlebar Bags . . . An Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Plus Medium Handlebar Bag in Granite/Black would also go well with a pair of Pepper Urban Back Rollers.
- Suggested Rack-Top Dry Bags . . . Ortlieb Rack Pack Dry Bags
- Click Here for a Variety of Optional Ortlieb Accessories including Outer Pockets, Bottle Cages for Panniers, Mesh Outer Pockets, a Pannier Carry System to convert a pannier to a daypack, and Anti-Theft Devices for panniers.
- SAVE $$$ on Matched Sets of Ortlieb Panniers and Packs & Ortlieb Mini-Combos & Tubus and Ortlieb Rack and Pack Combos!
- Tubus Racks are the best choice for carrying your Ortlieb Packs! SAVE $$$ on Matched Sets of Tubus Racks!
- LARGE ORDERS . . . Will you be placing an order for a large quantity of Panniers, Packs, and Racks for multiple riders? Call for price if your items can be combined in one shipment to a single address.
- The multifunctional Urban Back-Roller is an ideal single bag for bike riders who are looking for a spacious, waterproof bike bag to accompany them on their way to work or school. Made of a special blend of cotton and Cordura fabrics, the bag has a textile appearance that is a perfect match for both casual and business attire.
- Thanks to a polyurethane coating on the inside, it is nonetheless absolutely waterproof. The practical QL2.1 mounting system enables you to quickly and conveniently attach the bag to your bike rack. The bag’s internal pocket, consisting of a main compartment and a zippered mesh compartment helps you to keep things orderly and immediately accessible. A detachable shoulder strap allows you to comfortably carry the Urban Back-Roller once you set off on foot.
- Urban Back Roller panniers use the classic rolled closure. There is extra fabric near the top of the bag. Roll down the top of the bag, buckle the ends, and cinch a strap over the top. You will find the closing system simple, easy and waterproof.
- Highly reflective 3M Scotchlite reflectors are on the sides of the panniers, helping nighttime visibility from front and rear.
- Each pannier comes with a shoulder strap.
- Ortlieb Urban Back Roller Urban panniers are highly waterproof when properly closed (the level of waterproofing depends on how many times you roll the top).
- Ortlieb Plus, Classic and Urban Series QL-2.1 series panniers utilize the new QL2.1 Quick Lock mounting system, adjustable without any tools, with automatic opening and closing by lifting the handle. The QL2.1 system comes with 16mm wide top hooks, and adjusts with 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm hook inserts to help you fit various rack top-rail diameters. Adjustable width hooks at the base of the panniers keep the bottom mounted securely to the side of the rack. The sliding top hooks can be repositioned to allow precise placement on the rack top rails. This can also help move the panniers toward the rear of your rack, providing heel clearance while riding. Optional extra top hooks can be added to reinforce the mounting system when you take your panniers off-road. Optional 20mm QL-2.1 Top-Hooks are available for over-sized rack top-rails.
- Urban Back Roller panniers make great commuting and shopping bag panniers. When you need to bring home an extra-large load of groceries, if you see blue sky above and waterproofing is not an issue, you can use the extra fabric at the top of the bag as additional hauling space.
- Below are comments regarding the Classic and Plus versions of the Ortlieb Back Roller Panniers. I believe much of this information may apply to Urban use as well.
- These panniers will hold a LOT of gear. I have filled other panniers with higher rated capacity, and then transferred everything to Ortlieb panniers – meaning that you may not be able to trust rated capacity, or it could be that panniers with lots of pockets are inefficient to fill — so many corners. All I can tell you for sure is that I have trouble imagining that you will need larger panniers than Ortlieb panniers, even for the longest tours, especially if you plan on using a handlebar bag and a dry-bag bedroll style pack like the Ortlieb Rack Pack
- Besides being great for cross-country touring, Ortlieb Back Roller panniers might be my favorite panniers for general use. Back Rollers are great for grocery shopping. If you look up and see blue sky, and waterproofing is not an issue, you can over-stuff these panniers by not rolling them down all the way. If you have a smooth ride home from the grocery store, and are not worried about the security of the items you are carrying, you can give the top of a roller pannier just a half-roll down with the top strap fastened over the top, and you can bring home a LOT of groceries. And if you commute to work by bicycle, you can easily carry most laptop computers in a Back Roller pannier. You will not experience balance problems if you ride with a single Back Roller pannier, and if you press some of the air out of a roller pannier, and give the top an extra roll down, it will ride nicely when only partially full.
- The Urban series packs are made from a special blend of very durable PVC Free Cordura / cotton blend fabric with a substantial inner, highly durable, laminated polyurethane waterproof inner layer. This is beautiful fabric. The bag has a textile appearance that is a perfect match for both casual and business attire. These are some of the classiest packs Ortlieb makes!
- All seams are high frequency welded, providing excellent waterproofing along with narrow manufacturing tolerances. You will be impressed by the high quality workmanship.
- Reflectors are made of 3M Scotchlite.
Have no worries about staying organized when using panniers with large main compartments. If you pack inside with a variety of sizes of stuff sacks and zip-lock bags, you can stay very well organized. Smaller bags inside the main compartment are simply removable inner pockets. You don’t have to ride with a jumbled mess inside your bags.
- I know these are called Urban panniers, and urban use can be different from touring use, but many of the comments below could be changed slightly, and apply to urban riding. And these Urban bags are entirely touring capable.
- Ortlieb panniers set the standard for waterproof bags. Make certain you pack your tent and sleeping bags in waterproof stuff sacks if they are going inside the panniers. Keep your clean clothing separate from dirty laundry, and hang things where they can air out and dry out when you have the opportunities. If it rains in the night, you don’t want a wet tent to get everything else in your pack wet. And if you put a dry sleeping bag in a wet pannier, then at the end of the day you won’t enjoy trying go to sleep in that wet bag!
- Sometimes I get customers who say “I don’t want waterproof bags.” They are worried about wet gear in the bags not drying out while they are riding. They are correct. Gear will not dry out while you are riding with Ortlieb panniers. But that is true with non-waterproof panniers. Most non-waterproof bags are at least water resistant, and they have tightly sewn seems and the zippers do not provide ventilation. And if you put wet items in a waterproof bag before it goes into a pannier, in order to avoid getting other things wet, of course the wet items stay wet. Put wet items in ANY pannier, and unless you leave the tops of the panniers open and risk losing some gear, you will have some items to hang out to dry when you reach your next camp. Get caught in an all-day rain, and you sure will be glad you have Ortlieb waterproofing! Bottom line: Hang your gear out to dry whenever you get the chance, but don’t worry about riding with waterproof panniers.
- I once had a customer tell me that he rode for three months through the rainy season in Vietnam, and he bragged about his Ortlieb panniers and how well they kept his gear dry!