Ortlieb Sport Packer PLUS Panniers . . . for Front or Rear Racks . . . ON SALE!
- ALL ON SALE!
- Suggested Rear Panniers . . . Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus Panniers or Ortlieb Back Roller Plus Panniers
- Suggested Handlebar Bags . . . Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Plus Medium Handlebar Bag or Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Plus Large Waterproof Handlebar Bag
- Suggested Rack-Top Dry Bags . . . Ortlieb Rack Pack Dry Bags
- Click Here for a Variety of Optional Ortlieb Accessories including Outer Pockets, Bottle Cages for Panniers, Mesh Outer Pockets, a Pannier Carry System to convert a pannier to a daypack, and Anti-Theft Devices for panniers.
- SAVE $$$ on Matched Sets of Ortlieb Panniers and Packs & Ortlieb Mini-Combos & Tubus and Ortlieb Rack and Pack Combos!
- Tubus Racks are the best choice for carrying your Ortlieb Packs! SAVE $$$ on Matched Sets of Tubus Racks!
- LARGE ORDERS . . . Will you be placing an order for a large quantity of Panniers, Packs, and Racks for multiple riders? Call for price if your items can be combined in one shipment to a single address.
Ortlieb Sport Packer Plus Panniers
- Features Found in the Sport Packer Plus Panniers include . . . shaped lids and fabric styling that matches the Ultimate 6 Handlebar Bags, fittings for included shoulder straps, and scuff guards on the bottom of the packs.
- Additional features include . . . vertical compression straps, abrasion protection plates on the back sides of the bags, and highly reflective patches on front and back.
- Each Ortlieb Plus Series Pannier has an internal pouch pocket hanging from the inside top of the back panel. There is a zippered mesh pocket on the face of the internal pocket — nice!
- Though these bags are usually considered front panniers in a front and rear pannier set, they work equally well as front panniers or smaller volume rear panniers, and are also great for commuting and shopping.
- Even fully loaded, an Ortlieb Packer series pannier can be securely closed with a waterproof and dustproof lid, providing extra protection against the elements. A drawstring closure on the dust flap, beneath the lid, keeps dust and moisture out.
- Ortlieb Plus and Classic Series panniers utilize the new QL2.1 Quick Lock mounting system, adjustable without any tools, with automatic opening and closing by lifting the handle. The QL2.1 system comes with 16mm wide top hooks, and adjusts with 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm hook inserts to help you fit various rack top-rail diameters. Adjustable width hooks at the base of the panniers keep the bottom mounted securely to the side of the rack. The sliding top hooks can be repositioned to allow precise placement on the rack top rails. This can also help move the panniers toward the rear of your rack, providing heel clearance while riding. Optional extra top hooks can be added to reinforce the mounting system when you take your panniers off-road. Optional 20mm QL-2.1 Top-Hooks are available for over-sized rack top-rails.
Ortlieb Sport Packer Plus Panniers are several inches taller than the Ortlieb Sport Roller panniers. Besides providing a bit of extra room for your bicycle touring equipment, the extra height may come in handy if you use your panniers for cycle commuting or shopping. My Dell 15″ widescreen laptop computer is a little over 13 inches in length and 10″ wide. It fits nicely in a Sport Packer Plus pannier. The Sport Roller panniers are just less than 12 inches tall, so with a 13″ long laptop computer, you won’t be able to fully close the top of a Sport Roller pannier. You might also be surprised by how much room a pair of men’s size 12 shoes can take up inside a pannier. And having a little extra room if you hit the grocery store on the way home from work is something you will appreciate. You will be glad you the extra room in a pair of Sport Packers if one of these situations fits your needs.
- Ortlieb Sport Packer Plus panniers use Ortlieb’s Plus fabric, which is lighter in weight than the Classic fabric, yet still very tough. The Plus fabric is a bit more flexible as well, and easier to handle in extremely cold weather.
- All Plus series panniers are made from very durable Cordura fabric with a substantial, and highly durable, thermoplastic polyurethane waterproof inner layer.
- All seams are high frequency welded with narrow manufacturing tolerances, providing excellent waterproofing. You will be impressed by the high quality workmanship!
- Don’t think “Plastic” when you see the mounting system. Ortlieb hardware is made from a fiber-reinforced high-tech plastic that is extremely strong and durable, and in many tests can be stronger than metal parts.
- Ortlieb panniers are great for cross-country touring. Have no worries about staying organized when using panniers with large main compartments. If you pack inside with a variety of sizes of stuff sacks and zip-lock bags, you can stay very well organized. Smaller bags inside the main compartment are removable inner pockets. They can help you stay organized in camp, and when you are ready to pack up in the morning, you simply toss the pre-packed into your panniers, and you are ready to go. You won’t be riding with a jumbled mess inside your bags.
- Ortlieb panniers set the standard for waterproof bags. Make certain you pack your tent and sleeping bags in waterproof stuff sacks if they are going inside the panniers. Keep your clean clothing separate from dirty laundry, and hang things where they can air out and dry out when you have the opportunities. If it rains in the night, you don’t want a wet tent to get everything else in your pack wet. And if you put a dry sleeping bag in a wet pannier, then at the end of the day you won’t enjoy trying go to sleep in that wet bag!
- Sometimes I get customers who say “I don’t want waterproof bags.” They are worried about wet gear in the bags not drying out while they are riding. They are correct. Gear will not dry out while you are riding with Ortlieb panniers. But that is true with non-waterproof panniers. Most non-waterproof bags are at least water resistant, and they have tightly sewn seems and the zippers do not provide ventilation. And if you put wet items in a waterproof bag before it goes into a pannier, in order to avoid getting other things wet, of course the wet items stay wet. Put wet items in ANY pannier, and unless you leave the tops of the panniers open and risk losing some gear, you will have some items to hang out to dry when you reach your next camp. Get caught in an all-day rain, and you sure will be glad you have Ortlieb waterproofing! Bottom line: Hang your gear out to dry whenever you get the chance, but don’t worry about riding with waterproof panniers.
- I once had a customer tell me that he rode for three months through the rainy season in Vietnam, and he bragged about his Ortlieb Packer series panniers and how well they kept his gear dry!
Packers vs. Rollers, Plus vs. Classic, QL-2.1 vs. QL-3, etc. . . I planned to write comparisons for every Ortlieb panniers page, but ran out of time to do so before going live with this new website. You will find a LOT of such information here . . . Ortlieb Panniers and Packs Comparisons . . . and FAQ. And you are welcome to contact me if you have questions. Find my email and telephone contact information at near the bottom of every product page.